A Truly Authentic Story
Anila’s sauces are based on a traditional family recipe, made from the freshest ingredients in small batches. They are free from artificial colours, additives and preservatives, and are sugar, dairy and gluten free and contain no onion or garlic. Using twenty-three different spices, the sauces have a homemade quality just like “Mum makes” and there are certainly no imitations. Anila said: “I believe I can bring delicious tastes and flavours to people looking for authentic Indian cooking.”
In 1997, five years after the initial sauces were made Anila was made redundant from her PA position in a company which was relocating. Anila seized the opportunity and formed her own company called Anila’s Authentic Sauces.
The company started trading in March 1998 and introducing their 4 curry sauces to independent stores, farm shops and Food Halls. Their first customer was Bentalls Food Hall where Anila regularly carried out tastings in-store.
In October 1999 Anila and her family attended their first Farmers Market in Wallington, Surrey which was a great success and are still attending the market. Anila and her team of helpers have since been attending many other Farmers Markets and Food Fairs selling to a wider audience and meeting specialist producers on their travels. Due to constant requests by customers at farmers markets for chutney’s and pickles the company responded by introducing the popular sweet mango chutney and hot lime pickle. People liked the choice offered of curries, chutneys and pickles as Anila’s produced a variety of distinct, authentic flavours unlike any other in the market place
In 2000 all four of their curry sauces were winners in the Great Taste Awards.
Sales grew over the years and Anila’s soon outgrew the kitchen at home but it was difficult to find a suitable unit. For a couple of years the company rented a production unit 30 miles away to cook the sauces. In 2002 they moved into their first unit but soon outgrew the premises relocating into a larger unit. Anila ran the business with 3 staff and in 2006 her husband Dan joined the company. They have since invested in an automatic cooking vessel, a filling machine and an automatic labelling machine. The company extended their range to include a variety of pickles and chutneys and today they provide a choice of 15 to tantalise the taste buds and 8 delicious curry sauces.
Anila’s products are stocked at Delicatessens and Farm Shops throughout the UK. Besides supplying Food Halls of John Lewis and Wholefoods they also supply Health Food Stores and Garden Centres including Gift and Gourmet Shops.
January 2005 – Anila’s appointed a distributor in the UK who supplies specialist outlets.
October 2006 – Anila’s appointed a distributor in Ireland who supplies the products into specialist outlets throughout Ireland.
March 2007 – Anila’s exported the range to supply a large food store in Bahrain.
Jan 2010 – Exporting to Germany and Switzerland and Health Stores in Ireland
In 2011 Anila unveiled a stylish new branding with peel and reveal labelling that we hope will inspire you to create fantastic dishes of your own.
The new labels highlight the concentrated nature of our superb Indian curry sauces – adding water doubles the quantity of curry sauce. They also promote our authentic great taste…. and that Anila’s Authentic Sauces contain only natural ingredients, are free from dairy, gluten, added sugar, onion and garlic, and are suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
And behind the new-look label on each jar is a guide to making the perfect authentic meal using the ingredients of your choice along with serving suggestions and contact details for even more great recipe ideas.
Our curry sauces, chutneys, pickles and dips are also being packaged in chic new jars.
Keep an eye open in your local Anila’s stockist for our new-look range and let us know what you think! We would love to hear your feedback.
Their hard work and dedication has been recognised and rewarded winning 16 Great Taste Awards over the years.
The prize-winning product The Goan Green curry sauce won a two star Gold Great Taste Award in July 2010 and in 2011 was announced as the winner of the vegan category in the awards run by Cook Vegetarian! magazine as the the Best Vegan Product. In 2012 the very popular Goan Green curry sauce was the Freefrom Food Awards Winner and a Bronze Winner in 2018 in the FODMAP Friendly Category.
The magazine said: “Not only one of the best vegan curry sauces we’ve ever tried but one of the best curry sauces available. Its complexity of flavours makes its taste truly sensational.”
The Fruity Mild, Dhansak Korma and Spicy Mild curry sauces won Gold, Silver & Bronze in the Freefrom Food Awards in 2018
Now in their 25th year Anila’s has grown to become a truly authentic premium curry sauce company in the UK. With its fine selection of chutneys and pickles enhancing their range further, complementing the curry sauces, adding value to the business and establishing themselves as a high end food producer in the marketplace.
Awards to date
- Freefrom Food FODMAP Friendly Category Gold Winner 2018– Fruity Mild Curry Sauce
- Freefrom Food FODMAP Friendly Category Silver Winner 2018- Dhansak Korma Sauce
- Freefrom Food No Top 14 Category Silver Winner 2018- Dhansak Korma Curry Sauce
- Freefrom Food FODMAP Friendly Category Bronze Winner 2018- Spicy Mild Curry Sauce
- Freefrom Food No Top 14 Category Bronze Winner 2018- Spicy Mild Curry Sauce
- Freefrom Food FODMAP Friendly Category Bronze Winner 2018- Goan Green Curry Sauce
- One Star Gold Award 2014 – Tamarind & Date Chutney
- One Star Gold Award 2012 – Hot Mango Pickle
- Freefrom Food Awards Winner 2012 – Runners Up Fair Trophy
- Freefrom Food Awards Winner 2012 – Goan Green Curry Sauce
- Best Vegan Product 2011 – Goan Green Curry Sauce
- Cook Vegetarian Veggie Awards Winner 2011 – Goan Green Curry Sauce
- Two Star Gold Award 2010 – Goan Green Curry Sauce
- Freefrom Food Awards Winner 2009 – Spicy Korma Curry Sauce
- Three Star Gold Award 2007 – Spicy Mild Curry Sauce
- Three Star Gold Award 2007 – Spicy Korma Curry Sauce
- Reserve – Best Speciality from the South East 2007 – Spicy Mild Curry Sauce
- Silver Award 2006 – Goan Green Curry Sauce
- Gold Award 2005 – Chilli Chutney
- Gold Award 2005 – Tindori Pickle
- Best Speciality from the South East 2005 Award for the Tindori Pickle
- Bronze Award 2003 – Sweet Mango Chutney
- Silver Award 2003 – Spicy Korma
- Silver Award 2001 – Spicy Hot
- Silver Award 2000 – Spicy Medium
- Silver Award 2000 – Spicy Mild
- Bronze Award 2000 – Spicy Korma Curry Sauce